FAQs - Vital Records

  • Photocopy of the requestor's valid acceptable identification - English | Spanish
  • Completed birth certificate application
  • Payment
    • Checks
    • Cash
    • All major credit cards
    • Money orders
  • The person named on the birth record, with approved forms of identification.
  • Members of the immediate family (parents, grandparents, siblings, or children), with required proof of relationship
  • Legal guardian/representative with required proof of relationship or tangible interest
    To prove your relationship, we accept:
    • Birth certificates
    • Marriage certificates
    • Court-approved guardianship paperwork
    • Legal guardian of those named in the above headings
    • Others demonstrating a Direct and Tangible interest for the record.
  • Contact our office if you have any questions.
  • School registration
  • Obtaining a driver’s license
  • Travel
  • Social Security card
  • Employment
  • Genealogy and/or family history
  • Marriage (domestic and international)
  • Signing up for youth sports programs
  • Domestic or international adoption
  • Access to other personal records 
  • In-person requests normally take from 15-20 minutes.
  • Emailed/mail requests will take 2-3 business days to process once we have received all the necessary documents as outlined above.
  • Online requests will receive a confirmation email with all the details of how the order is being handled.
  • Delivery timeframe after processing is 5-7 business via mail and 2 business days via UPS within continental U.S.

Please note that if there is missing or incorrect information provided, a follow-up email will be sent to confirm the information or documentation that is needed for processing.

If the person was born in Colorado, you may obtain the birth certificate at ANY Vital Records office in the state of Colorado. 

The State of Colorado records it this way for security purposes, genealogy, and because mother’s name may change due to marriage. The  name prior to first marriage will always stay the same even if  parent re-marries. 

  • You may apply online through a third-party website:  VitalChek or GoCertificates.
  • You may go directly to the State Vital Records office and go through an appeal process.
  • You may contact us for additional information at 720.200.1401.

No. You must contact the State Vital Records Office in the state you were born in, or you can also apply through a secure third-party website: VitalChek or GoCertificates.

On average, it takes approximate 4-8 weeks from the time baby was registered at the hospital. However, it can vary depending on the state where you live. If you have not received your child’s social security card within six to eight weeks, please visit or contact your local Social Security office.

If the child is younger than 1 year
To request a correction or make a change to a birth certificate, you must submit the following through the State Vital Records Office:

The State Vital Records Office is by appointment only and for any in-person birth corrections/changes you will need to schedule an appointment.

If the child is older than 1 year

To change the given name on a birth certificate of a person older than 1 year, contact your local county court to obtain a certified copy of a legal name change order before submitting the birth certificate correction form. The legal name change form can be downloaded from the Colorado State Judicial Branch, and submit the following:

Acknowledgement of Parentage information

To add second parent to a birth certificate where a second parent is not currently listed, complete and submit the Voluntary Acknowledgement of Parentage form (English | Spanish) to the state office. (please note: this form will need witness signatures for all parties on the document).

Download the Acknowledgement of Parentage form (English | Spanish) and submit it to the State Vital Records Office whether that is in-person, by mail, or by email (State requires all original court documents and will not accept emailed court documents). 

Marriage certificates can be obtained from the county clerk and recorder where you were married or from the Colorado State Vital Records office. 

Vital Records

Adams County Service Center Building
7190 Colorado Blvd., Ste. 170
Commerce City, CO 80022
(View Map)

PHONE: 720.200.1401

Contact Vital Records

8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
(Closed for lunch 12 p.m.-1 p.m.)