Tobacco and Nicotine Prevention
Reducing Tobacco Initiation and Use in Adams County:
Tobacco use remains the number one preventable cause of death and disease in the nation and in Adams County. Every year, more than 480,000 people in the United States die from tobacco-related diseases, including over 5,000 lives in the state of Colorado. Most tobacco use starts in adolescence (90%) and contributes to many long-term and adverse health outcomes, such as heart disease, stroke, lung cancer and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
Inequities in tobacco use exist across groups defined by race, ethnicity, education level and socioeconomic status. For example, although African Americans smoke at lower or similar rates compared with other racial and ethnic groups, they have higher death rates from tobacco-related causes. It is estimated that 45,000 African Americans die every year from tobacco-related diseases.
The Adams County Health Department’s Tobacco Prevention Program is housed under the Healthy Equity and Strategic Initiatives Division. Tobacco program staff are available to support community needs by sharing resources, collaborating to develop community-led solutions, and making the healthy choice the easy choice. If you are a community member, housing provider, tobacco retail owner, school administrator, and/or the general public, we encourage you to review our resource hub below and reach out with any questions, concerns and/or feedback. Please contact us at [email protected].
Need to report a smoking violation?
Help to Quit
- Colorado QuitLine (website available in English and Spanish – sitio de web disponible en Inglés y Español)
- A free service is available to Colorado residents 12 and older. Enroll Now.
- The QuitLine provides special tools, a support team of coaches and nicotine replacement therapy.
- The expert coaches can talk to you about overcoming common barriers, such as dealing with stress, fighting cravings, coping with irritability and controlling weight gain.
- Call 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669) to learn how to quit tobacco today.
- My Life, My Quit™ is a free and confidential way to quit smoking or vaping. Text "Start My Quit" to 36072 or click to chat with a Coach. We are here for you every step of the way. It's YOUR LIFE and we're here to help you live it YOUR WAY.
- My Life, My Quit: A Youth Cessation Program
- Smokefree Teen is a National Cancer Institute program to help teens take control of their health. It is designed to help teens understand the decisions they make—especially the decision to quit smoking—and how those decisions fit into their life.
- Metro Denver Tobacco Cessation Resources
Secondhand Smoke Resources
- If you are a housing provider and looking into how to transition to smoke-free housing, please use this tool kit for Owners/Management.
- Are you a resident looking for smoke-free housing?
Tobacco Retail License Information
Are you a new or existing Tobacco Retailer that has not applied for a state CO Tobacco License? Apply for the Retail Tobacco Store License in Colorado.
Looking for signage? Please feel free to print out the signage below or email us at [email protected] and we will mail you signage to your Tobacco Store location.
- Tobacco warning sign (English) - required by CO law for all Retail Tobacco Stores
- Tobacco warning sign (Español) - required by CO law for all Retail Tobacco Stores
- Smoking allowed sign - required by CO law for all Retail Tobacco Stores that are except from the Colorado Clean Indoor Air Act
Need help with training? Learn to be a responsible tobacco retailer and help prevent kids from substance misuse, dependence, disease, and avoidable, premature death. Responsible Tobacco Sales is a 20-minute program that discusses healthy youth habits, federal and state tobacco laws and regulations, and ways to verify and recognize forms of valid identification. This program and its presentation opportunities are open to retail tobacco store owners, operators, staff, and management.